Original hand-coloured antique print of the Dutch Church in Batavia ca. 1840.
The New Dutch Church of Old Batavia, otherwise known as the Nieuwe Hollandse Kerk during its time, was built in 1736 and was destroyed by an earthquake in 1808. The church served the Christians of the city with the exception of the Portuguese-influenced Mardijkers who had their own church outside the walls.
This colour copperplate engraving shows a bustling city scene with activity on the streets, people fishing, and some folks relaxing on bungalows on the riverside.