Antique chromolithograph of the harbor at Banda Naira. The shallows between Banda Naira and Banda Api were busy with ships going to and from the legendary Spice Islands. Once the only source of nutmeg in the world, Banda Naira and the Banda Islands were the most prized holdings of the Dutch colonial empire. To the left, Banda Api spews smoke while the more inhabited Banda Naira on the right is visited by a ship. The fort on the right is likely Fort Belgica, one of many defensive positions constructed by the Dutch to ward off invaders.
Published in Leiden, the Netherlands, after a water drawing by J.C. Rappard,
Jhr. Josias Cornelis Rappard (1824-1898) was a colonel in the KNIL and a painter. During his posting in the Netherlands Indies 1842-1872, he painted and drew pictures of life and scenes in the Indies that were later, back in Leiden, The Netherlands, would be made into chromolithographs. The Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam holds a large number of these prints and collectors all over the world appreciate Rappard's classic watercolours.
Chromolithography was a popular method for colour printing in the 19th century because of its lower cost and relative ease to mass-produce. The process involves the use of stones and a chemical process to fasten images to the paper. High-end chromolithographs are hand-finished by an artist after the process to ensure the best possible fidelity in each copy.
This lithograph is part of a series, view all by clicking HERE